I wanted to have spicy fermented carrots with a crunch. It was my first attempt to ferment carrots and I am very happy with the result.
- 1.5 kg grated carrots
- 1 medium head of garlic
- fresh ginger 5-7 cm piece
- 1 chili pepper
- 2 long sweet red peppers
- 2 cloves
- 27 g sea salt
- grate peeled carrots
- add finely sliced 1 sweet red pepper
- put another sweet red pepper, peeled and finely grated ginger, chili pepper and garlic in food processor and make a fine paste
- add salt to grated carrots, massage carrots with your hands until juices appear
- add garlic and ginger paste, cloves and mix it
- Press the mixture together until covered with juices. If not enough liquid, add brine (2% sea salt solution, 20 g in 1 litre of water)
- put a plate to keep carrots under juices and put weight on the plate
I used glass container, so I had to cover it, to protect from light. Fermentation started instantly and because it was very warm time, carrots were ready to eat after 3 days. Fermented carrots tasted as nearly fresh carrots with very pleasant spiciness and heat in them. We use fermented carrots as a side salad with meat and chicken dishes.
I also like it on my sandwiches, and on its own as a snack.