Lamb in a pot is a gluten free meal for the whole family to enjoy. It is nutritionally balanced, very easy to cook in one pot, and can be considered comfort food, especially in winter.
- 500 g diced lamb
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 1 capsicum
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- pinch of fennel seeds
- pinch of dry crushed chilli
- 5-6 juniper berries
- 4 cloves
- 2 garlic cloves.
I use 2 table spoons of my chili peppers and garlic paste instead of dry chilli and fresh garlic.
- chop onions and carrots
- add fennel, dry crushed chilli flakes and crushed garlic to olive oil in cast iron or non stick pot
- add chopped onions and carrots and lightly fry them.
- add chopped capsicum and diced lamb and fry for 3-5 min.
- add 3 cups of boiling water to cover meat and vegetables, cover the pot with a lid and cook for 45 min.
- add one cup of rice and one cup of boiling water, stir the mix, cover the pot and cook for another 15 min with occasional stir.
- Let it rest for 10-15 min. covered, for rice to absorb extra moisture.
The dish will have the consistency of wet risotto. I use sushi (Koshikihari) rice, which absorbs 3 cups of water in cooking. I add 3 cups of water initially when cooking meat with vegetables, and another cup with rice because of reduction during cooking. This meal is ready in less than 90 min. including preparation.
If different rice is used, adjust the amount of water and cooking times for rice. Chicken, beef or pork meat can be used instead of lamb. Spices can be adjusted for different meat and level of spiciness.