No introduction needed to this beautiful lamb leg butterfly, cooked slowly on a bed of fennel, leek and red chili peppers. It is not a traditional roast. Lamb is cooked on very low heat on the cooktop in covered casserole pot, cast iron Dutch oven gives the best results.
- lamb leg butterfly (0.5-0.7 kg), for the bigger piece of meat increase cooking time by another half an hour
- leek, fennel and red chili peppers as vegetable bed
- pinch of dry thyme
- 3-4 cloves
- garlic and chili peppers paste to marinade the meat
- salt and black pepper for seasoning
- wash and dry the meat
- cover leg butterfly with garlic and chili peppers paste, sprinkle with thyme, add cloves
- season with salt and black pepper
- marinate for 1 hour
- spread sliced vegetables evenly on the bottom of cast iron Dutch oven, season vegetables, add water just to cover them
- put the lamb on top of vegetables
- place the pot on the cook top on very low heat and cook for 2 hours. Check occasionally for water, and if necessary add some water, just to cover the bottom of the pot
This is a very easy dish to prepare. You only have to put the pot with all ingredients on the cooktop, and can forget about it for 2 hours. Lamb butterfly I cooked was so moist and soft, that it practically melted in the mouth. With juicy fermented carrots no gravy was necessary for the dish.