I created this very simple recipe to make a delicious soup in one go. No stock, no frying onions or garlic, just chop and boil the vegetables with spices, puree them and the soup is ready.
The result is hearty, thick vegetable soup, excellent for cold winter times. With only 3 vegetables – cauliflower, sweet potato and potato, and 3 spices added to the mix, this soup surprises with its delicious and complex taste. It takes only 20-25 min to make, including preparation time.
Ingredients: soup for 4
- medium cauliflower
- 1 cup of chopped sweet potato
- 3 small potatoes
- 1-2 table spoons of butter (you can use any oil you like)
- 1 tea spoon of ground cumin
- pinch of fennel seeds
- half tea spoon of freshly grated ginger (gluten free minced ginger from a jar can be used)
- salt to taste
optional to garnish
- 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs
- finely chopped red chili peppers and parsley (I use my garlic and red chili peppers paste)
- light sour cream
- chop all vegetables into small pieces, add water, just to cover vegetables in the pot
- add fennel seeds, ground cumin, ginger and butter
- cook on medium heat until potatoes are ready
- puree the soup in a blender, or with stick blender
- garnish and serve the soup with freshly toasted gluten free bread
The soup is thick and creamy and has intense flavour, though vegetables are cooked in water and no cream is added. To have it as a meal, I often add chopped hard-boiled egg and my garlic and chili peppers fermented paste, but the soup is even better with sour cream and warm bread from the toaster.