For the lovers of dark chocolate this is an indulgent tart with traditional combination of flavours – chocolate and orange. With pure cacao powder incorporated into sweet pastry, orange and ganache tarts have a balance of bitter and sweet taste to spoil your taste buds.
To make orange and ganache tart you need 3 components: gluten free sweet dough for pastry cases, thick orange marmalade and dark chocolate ganache. In this post you can find all necessary ingredients for making gluten free orange and ganache tarts. Detailed descriptions of how to make each component for the tart can be found in previous posts. I usually make these tarts when baking gluten free biscuits. I put some pastry aside, add pure cacao powder to make chocolate pastry, blind bake tart cases, and assemble tarts when they cooled down.
Chocolate Sweet Pastry
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 120g sugar
- 10g vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon of gluten free baking powder
- 220g McKenzie’s rice flour
- 70g gluten free Orgran all purpose plain flour
- 2 table spoon of cold milk (can be substituted by cold water)
- 4 table spoons of pure cocoa powder
Thick Orange Marmalade
- I make my own thick orange marmalade from oranges and sugar, but any commercial marmalade, thick and dense, and not too sweet, can be used.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 200 ml pure cream 45% fat, check the labels that there is only one ingredient, and no gelatine or any other thickeners
- 466 g gluten free dark, good quality chocolate, 55% cacao solids minimum
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 1 desert spoon of any not too sweet alcohol, check that alcohol is gluten free
- Orange marmalade have to be prepared ahead, better the day before. I usually put aside a jar of thick orange marmalade and open it when I need it. You will need only oranges and sugar to make it yourself, or alternatively you can use your favourite brand of orange marmalade. It have to be thick and dense. If it contains big pieces of peel, it have to be homogenised to make thick puree.
- Make sweet chocolate pastry for tarts from the list of the ingredients above, roll sweet pastry thin (3mm), cut circles with cookie cutter. Place pastry circles in non-stick tart cases and blind bake them in preheated fan-forced oven at 170 degrees for 15-18 min, take ceramic weights (or anything you use for blind baking) out and finish baking until the pastry is ready. With chocolate pastry it is hard to judge by colour, so you might have to taste the pastry. Cool baked pastry cases on wire rack.
- Make chocolate ganache as described in the post Chocolate Truffles
- Assemble tarts when pastry cases become completely cool. Spread layer of orange marmalade on the bottom and pour still warm ganache on top. Keep tarts at room temperature for ganache to set. Do not try to speed up the process in the fridge, the surface of the tart would be ruined.
These tarts are very rich in flavour and I prefer to make them as mini-tarts. Gluten free sweet pastry without cacao can also be used to bake pastry cases to make tarts with less intense chocolate flavour. Tarts can be decorated with whipped or clotted cream.