This recipe was developed as a part of high protein menu for a hot summer weather. It is also one of the dishes from a series “chicken 4 ways”, when I cook chicken drumsticks with vegetables in one big pot and as a result have chicken stock, make chicken mousse or pressed chicken, and use stock vegetables to bake nutritious grain and nut free bread.
It is flavoursome cold chicken dish, suitable for lunch or dinner option on protein days, and, as a smaller portion, is perfect as an entrée served with fresh vegetables or salads on hot summer days. It is easy to make and it keeps for several days refrigerated. It can be even used reheated, as an ingredient for a warm chicken salad.
Ingredient quantities depend on the size of the dish you prepared to fill. I used 10 medium size chicken drumsticks to fill 1/2 of Pyrex glass loaf dish.
- 10 chicken drumsticks, skinless
for the stock
- 3 carrots
- 1-2 onions
- 3-4 celery sticks
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 sweet red chili pepper
- outer leaves from 1 cauliflower or 4-5 white cabbage leaves
- tea spoon fennel seeds
- 1 hot chilli (deseeded)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- I use my own chili peppers and garlic paste for both the stock, and as a spice mix for cooked chicken; use your own favourite spice mix between layers of cooked chicken
- black sesame seeds for decoration
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- wash chicken drumsticks and dry them with paper towel
- remove skin
- chop vegetables in big chunks, red capsicum and sweet chili peppers in long strips
- cook chicken with vegetables and spices in a large stock pot for 1-1.5 hours depending on drumstick size, until meat falls apart from bones
- use salt and pepper for seasoning, check the level of seasoning in the process
- switch the heat off, cover the pot with lid and leave it for 1 hour
- take chicken drumsticks our of the stock
- separate meat from bones and discard bones and tendons, leave meat chunks intact
- add spice mix to chicken meat
- take the skin from red sweet chili peppers, slice cooked carrot
- sprinkle the bottom of Pyrex glass dish with sesame seeds, arrange carrot slices and strips of red peppers flesh
- spread chicken meat in the dish, add several table spoons of chicken broth
- place glad wrap on top of chicken meat, press it down and place some weight on top
- refrigerate for 4-6 hours, even better overnight; I simply left it in the fridge with a packet of rice on top
- dip Pyrex dish for 1-2 min in hot water and turn it over to serving plate
- serve with fresh vegetables or salads, or on its own, with horseradish or mustard as only protein meal
I had my pressed chicken with fresh cucumber and our own fermented carrots, we always have in the fridge. On a cold day I would have it with mash.
It is a convenient dish to make. It can be considered as chicken terrine only made from already cooked chicken meat. My goal was to have pure protein dish, but any cooked vegetables can be used between layers of chicken meat to create more balanced and colourful dish.