I have been developing bread recipes for my other blogs and want to share them here, too. The recipe is for a very different bread, which is not only grain free, but does not include nuts, yeast or tapioca, arrowroot, coconut flour – typical ingredients for paleo bread recipes.
I baked this bread many times now, the recipe is a very simple one. It has a short list of ingredients, bread dough is ready in 10-15 min, no fuss baking follows, and you have healthy and nutrient rich bread to enjoy. I make this bread as a savoury bread using different spices, with cumin as my favourite. This bread has a soft and spongy texture, quite surprising in bread with no grains, no starches and no yeast. I always bake this bread in a small loaf tin, total weight of the baked bread loaf is 370g. Slicing of this bread is also easy, it does not crumble. Freezing and defrosting does not include any issues either.
I make 2 versions of this bread, one with sunflower kernel,s as main dry ingredient, and the other with pumpkin seeds. The recipe and preparation are the same for both varieties. The taste of both breads is very similar if not the same.
- 150g fresh apple pieces
- 2 large eggs (104-108g without shells)
- 100g sunflower kernels/pumpkin seeds, ground and sifted
- 50g flax seeds, ground and sifted
- 20g chia seeds, ground and sifted
- 5g (1 tea spoon) baking soda
- 6g (1 tea spoon) salt
- 1/2 – 1 tea spoon cumin powder (optional)
- 1 tea spoon garlic and chilli paste (can be substituted for other spices or omitted altogether)
- 1 tea spoon of sunflower kernels/pumpkin seeds for decoration
- oil/butter to grease the tin
Step by step photos for this bread preparation can be seen here
- grind sunflower/pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and chia seeds, sift them all into one bowl
- add baking soda and cumin powder
- combine all dry ingredients together
- peel and core an apple
- blend apple pieces with salt and garlic and chilli paste (if using) in food processor for 1 min
- add eggs and beat on medium-high for 7 min until the mixture becomes pale and at least doubles in volume
- pour the mixture into a wide bowl
- add dry ingredients and mix them in with a whisk until fully incorporated, the mixture will lose volume
- spoon thick batter into greased medium/small size bread loaf tin (I used both avocado oil and unsalted butter and used 20cm x 10 cm tin)
- level the surface of the dough with wet spatula
- make 1 cm deep incision in the middle of the dough
- sprinkle sunflower kernels or pumpkin seeds on top (optional)
- bake in preheated to 170C for 55-60min. (I used 2 baking regimes: fan forced and no fan, no fan regime gave better rise and better overall bake)
- I like to leave the loaf on a wire rack to cool down in switched off oven, but it is not necessary
The texture of this bread allows to use it to make savoury French toast. I can recommend to let it soak in egg mixture for 7-10 min to give bread more time to absorb the mixture, and fry the toast on a low heat. The toast will be soft and moist and can be served with anything savoury or lightly roasted vegetables.