This is my easy grain, dairy, nut, starches, sugar, yeast and gums free dough recipe, baked with the new product – Organic Golden Flax Flour. This product has many advantages. First of all, less grinding to do, the recipe becomes even easier and faster to make. Lighter colour of the bread might be more appealing to some consumers, the dough is not as soft as the one based on the original recipe, and can be handled with no problems whatsoever. I even liked the taste a touch better. My only concern with the dough was that its more dense and firm texture could have prevented the dough rising during baking. It was not the case.
Dough rise was not enormous, but enough to form a consistent and even soft and airy texture of the buns. Dough texture and consistency allowed to shape free standing, unsupported buns and bake them on a lined tray. These buns are perfect to use as bread rolls with any bowl of soup, as bread rolls to make burgers, or as tiny bread slices for canapés.
Bread rolls take only 40 min to bake and 10-15 min to rest. Without yeast the whole process of making and baking these buns takes only the time to blend and grind ingredients, and to bake the dough.
Considering the fact that this bread is grain, starches, legumes, dairy, soy, nut, sugar, yeast and gums free, very easy to make from simple and short list of ingredients, and is perfectly balanced in terms of nutritional value, I might call it the winner from the list of all bread recipes I have developed so far.
for 6-7 bread rolls
- 150g fresh apple pieces (Granny Smith are the best)
- 2 large eggs (104-108g without shells)
- 100g pumpkin seeds, ground and sifted
- 20g chia seeds, ground and sifted
- 50g Pure Golden Flaxseed Flour, sifted
- 5g (1 tea spoon) baking soda
- 6g (1 tea spoon) salt
- 1/2 tea spoon cumin powder
- 1 tea spoon garlic and chilli paste (can be substituted for other spices, spice mixes, dried or wet, or omitted altogether)
- sesame seeds for decoration (optional)
- egg to make egg wash
- grind pumpkin seeds and chia seeds, sift them all into wide bowl
- sift gold flaxseed flour into the same bowl
- add baking soda, salt and cumin powder
- combine all dry ingredients together, put aside
- peel and core an apple, cut apple in 2cm pieces
- blend apple pieces in food processor for 1 min, scrape pieces from the sides of the bowl if necessary
- add eggs and beat on medium-high for 7-8 min until the mixture becomes pale and at least doubles (practically triples) in volume
- pour the mixture into a wide bowl
- add the mix of dry ingredients
- add garlic and chilli paste (or other spices)
- combine all ingredients with a whisk first, and later with spatula, until fully incorporated, the mixture will lose volume and thicken
- let the dough rest for 10 minutes
- add 2 table spoons of water to an egg, beat it with a fork
- line baking tray with baking paper
- wet the palms of your hands and shape the dough into individual bread rolls
- place bread rolls on a baking paper, press them down a little to flatten them
- brush with egg wash
- sprinkle sesame seeds on top
- bake in preheated to 170C fan-forced oven for 40 min
- rest bread rolls on a wire rack for 20 min
We enjoyed our freshly baked, still warm rolls with chicken and carrot pate/mousse. Bread from this recipe tastes quite neutral and goes well with honey and jams, too.