If you love cabbage dishes, but do not want to spend time to do proper cabbage rolls, first looking for the cabbage, suitable to get reasonable size leaves, carefully separating softened cabbage leaves without damage, making the rolls and cooking them for some time, here is a delicious alternative, easy to prepare and ready in 30 minutes or so. All you need is chicken thigh mince, some oil, onions, carrots and cabbage. You can use any spices or herbs to adapt the dish to your taste, but you can also get away with just salt and black pepper.
The amount and the ratio of ingredients is very flexible.
- 2 onions (1 onion and 1 baby leek), thinly sliced in semi-circles
- 2 carrots, grated
- 500g chicken thigh mince
- small cabbage or 1/2 of larger cabbage, shredded to your liking (we like it reasonably chunky)
- 1-2 table spoons of olive oil (I use 1 table spoon of olive oil and 1 table spoon of unsalted butter)
- salt and coarse black pepper for seasoning
- prepare vegetables, slice onions, grate carrots and shred cabbage
- heat oil in a large casserole pan, the larger the diameter of the pan, the better
- fry onions for 3-5 min, add carrots, stir and cook for another 3 min
- add chicken mince, work to separate the mince into small to medium size pieces while it cooks
- when the mince changes the colour and looks cooked on the surface, add cabbage, stir all ingredients together
- add seasoning
- cover the pan with a lid and cook until the cabbage is soft, leave some chunky pieces for a bit of a crunch
The dish is surprisingly filling and can be considered as part of an eating plan with weight loss in mind.