Delicious, thick and chunky mushroom sauce is simple to prepare. It goes nicely with meat and poultry dishes, any type of pasta, including ravioli. It can be also used as a filling for pies, pastries, tartlets on its own or mixed with other ingredients. It will suit both high cuisine and very simple comfort food, we have it as a must sauce on our Christmas table for quail ravioli, and serve the sauce with boiled or steamed potatoes in regular meals.
The sauce can be served warm or cold. It is a perfect accompaniment to cold cuts of three bird roast.
Served warm with steam or boiled potatoes and fresh salad, mushroom sauce, especially when made with speck or bacon added, makes a nice meal.
Mushroom sauce can be prepared without sour cream, especially if it is made in advance. Sour cream is added at a time of serving. The texture of the sauce can vary from chunky to pate like.
Mushroom sauce is best stored in glass containers refrigerated. Without sour cream it can last for 5 days.
- punnet (200-250g) of white or brown (Swiss) mushrooms
- 1 large or 2 medium onions
- serving spoon of sour cream 20-25% fat
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 1 table spoon butter
- sea salt and coarse black pepper for seasoning (white fine pepper can be used for smoother look)
- slice and chop mushrooms and onions
- heat olive oil in a deep pan
- gently saute onions until translucent
- add mushrooms, season with sea salt, add butter, cover frying pan with a lid
- cook on low/medium heat, it might be necessary to add 1-2 table spoons of water if mushrooms do not provide enough liquid in a pan
- cook until mushrooms become soft, the timing depends on type of mushrooms, brown mushrooms take longer time to cook
- open the lid when very little liquid is left in the pan
- check seasoning, add sea salt, if needed, and pepper
- leave the sauce in the pan without a lid to cool, remaining heat in the pan will reduce moisture even more
- to make texture of the sauce smooth and fine use stick blender
I like to serve ravioli with two sauces, mushroom and sour cream with fresh dill.