I make this simple egg salad all the time, wouldn’t call it a recipe, just another way we like our eggs. In an essence it is 2 ingredients salad – hard boiled eggs with gluten free mayonnaise. I like to add a touch of full fat sour cream, wasabi and fresh dill, when I make it for myself. Grandkids and my husband like it plain with no extras. It can be used in open and closed sandwiches, I make them with gluten and starches free dark and white bread.
I also like to use it as one of the ingredients in seaweed rolls, with vegetables and sometimes with cooked rice. However, though I use sushi rice, it is not prepared as sushi rice, no vinegar and sugar are added.
I have to confess that I also like to wrap egg salad with cucumbers, avocado and sweet red peppers in leberkase. Barossa valley product is gluten free, is reasonably low in salt and can be sliced very thin. It is an occasional treat for me and the boys.
- hard boiled eggs
- gluten free mayonnaise, 1 heaped tea spoon per egg
- sour cream
- chopped dill
- place room temperature eggs in cold water
- boil eggs for 10-11 minutes from the boiling point
- place them in cold water for 2-3 minutes
- peel the shell, cut eggs in large chunks, use fork to make coarse egg crumbs
- place mayonnaise in a bowl (add sour cream, optional)
- add eggs, mix them in
- add all extras to your taste
- egg salad will taste better if made from still warm eggs
- egg salad can be used fresh, but it will get better texture when stored in refrigerator for 1-2 hours
Egg salad sandwich with avocado and cucumber
You can find rice preparation with grated carrots cooked in water here.