I finally gave in into temptation and bought another Staub cocotte, a touch larger (20cm) than I already have. I was lucky to get 50% discount in one day sales for an amazing colour. Deboned lamb shanks were the first dish I cooked in it. It is a simple, yet absolutely delicious dish. To make it short it was wonderful. The lamb was fully cooked to be juicy, soft and tender in an hour. I added rice and cooked for another 12 minutes and let it rest for 45 minutes under kitchen towels. Here it is.
I got an impression that this cocotte cooks even better, that the one I already have (18cm), as it retained practically all water during cooking. Next time I have to allow this correction when adding water for rice to get it completely dry as I want it in this particular dish.
- 500-600g deboned lamb shanks
- 2 large carrots
- 2 onions
- 5-6 grapes tomatoes
- 1 long sweet red chilli pepper
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 1 table spoon butter
- 4 cloves
- 1 dessert spoon of garlic and chilli homemade preserve
- 2-3 thyme sticks
- pinch of cumin seeds
- short grain rice, I used 150ml cup
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- water, 3 volumes to rice
- cover rice with water and soak it while the meat is cooking, changing water 3-4 times
- rinse and drain rice before adding it to the pot
- warm oil and butter in any heavy casserole dish
- add cumin seeds
- slice onion in semi-circles
- gently fry onions until translucent
- add salt, pepper, garlic and chilli preserve, sliced carrots and sweet chilli pepper
- add halved grape tomatoes, stir and cook with lid on for 5-7 minutes
- add lamb meat cut in large chucks, meat can be added raw or sealed by fast frying in a separate pan
- cover meat and vegetables with water (3 volumes to rice)
- cover the pot with lid and cook for 1 hour or until the meat is ready to your liking
- add rice, spread it evenly between meat pieces
- add cloves and thyme
- cook for 12-13 minutes
- let the pot rest covered to allow rice to absorb the residual water
Serve and enjoy the goodness!
And here is my hero, the delightful piece of cookware, absolutely the best in my humble opinion. Can’t praise it enough.