I had developed this recipe for the sweet shortcrust pastry 14 years ago. It is an easy and reliable recipe from readily available simple and budget priced ingredients. I am still using this recipe to make variety of gluten free biscuits, as well as shells for different types of tarts and tartlets. This basic recipe can be easily modified for chocolate shortcrust pastry as well.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 130g caster sugar
- 200 g McKenzie’s fine rice flour
- 90 g Gluten Free OrgraN plain all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt
- table spoon of cold water
- zest of 1 lemon and 1 tea spoon vanilla paste are optional
- for chocolate sweet shortcrust pastry add 2+ table spoons of pure cacao powder
I have developed more recipes for the sweet shortcrust pastry, tailored to different baking needs and using different individual flours, instead of flour mixes with all additional ingredients. When only individual flours are used it is possible to make shortcrust with only natural ingredients. The list of these recipes with links you can find at the end of the page.
- put both flours in food processor and while running add small pieces of cold butter until butter and flour combined to form crumbs
- alternatively combine butter with flour by hand (I prefer this approach)
- lightly beat the egg with sugar
- place flour and butter mix in a large bowl, pour egg mix and using a knife or spatula mix dry ingredients with egg mixture as much as you can
- press everything together with your hands to make a ball
- make indentation with your fingers in pastry ball and add table spoon of cold water (milk or buttermilk can be used instead), I usually do not put the pastry in the fridge to rest, especially in winter, when room temperature is lower
- to make biscuits, roll the pastry as thick as you want, use any shape cookie cutters; when rolling this pastry always use OrgraN flour to dust the surface and the pastry itself
- to top biscuits, brush the surface of the rolled pastry with milk (egg wash, water) and use ground or finely chopped nuts, sliced almonds or Demerara sugar
- to make jam biscuits cut the pastry in squares and put your favourite jam or marmalade, test the jam to be not too runny when heated
I like my biscuits thin and crunchy. These biscuits will stay dry and crunchy for a long time when kept in a container with tight lid.
I also use this pastry to make tarts with different fillings, with or without blind baking. The most popular tarts in our house are seasonal frangipane tarts with either plums or cherries.
When making these tarts, I blind bake shortcrust tart shell and use my version of frangipane without butter, but with cottage cheese/ricotta cheese and almond meal for the final bake with fresh plums or cherries.
When I make individual tartlets with different fillings, I fully bake them as empty shells to use later with vanilla cream, berries or ganache fillings.
Tartlet cases can be stored in air tight container and later finished with jams, berries and vanilla cream.
This pastry can also be used to bake individual mini custard tarts filled with thick vanilla custard using mini muffin tray.
When making chocolate version of shortcrust pastry, I add 2 heaped table spoons of pure cacao powder to the mix of ingredients. To make pastry with extra bitter flavour, roll the dough in cacao powder. However, added cacao powder makes the dough easier to roll, so only little of cacao powder is needed. I use sweet chocolate shortcrust pastry to make orange and chocolate ganache individual tarts and tartlets.
Chocolate shortcrust pastry is wonderful as a base for orange jam and orange peel biscuits, rolled as mini strudels.
When I have an excess of cottage cheese at home, I make cottage cheese tart or slice. It has shortcrust pastry as a shell, and a simple cottage cheese and egg mix filling with vanilla and lemon zest.
These are several variations for sweet shortcrust pastry, published in as individual posts:
- Sweet shortcrust made with McKenzie’s rice flour and Well and Good Pastry Flour
- Sweet shortcrust to make biscuits with fillings – Genovesi pastry
- Chocolate sweet shortcrust and orange biscuits pastry
- Gluten and dairy free buckwheat kernels shortcrust
- Gluten free buckwheat kernels shortcrust
- Gluten free buckwheat flour shortcrust
- Gluten free millet and buckwheat shortcrust – starches and gums free
- Gluten free buckwheat and rice flour shortcrust