This was the first publication in this blog and I have decided to leave it the way it was originally published.
Gluten-Free Sultana Cake
- 3 medium eggs
- 150 g sugar
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 100 fine rice flour
- 150 g almond meal
- 400 g sultanas
- 100 mixed peel
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tea-spoon vanilla extract
- Beat sugar with soften butter untill creamy.
- Add eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Mix dry ingredients: rice flour, sifted almond meal, baking powder.
- Mix sultanas with mixed peel in a bowl, and boiling water for 3-5 min, then drain the water.
- Incorporate dry ingredients into butter, sugar and egg mix.
- Add sultanas, mixed peel and lemon zest.
- Grease non-stick pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Spoon the batter in prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Bake the cake 20 min and then reduce temperature to 150C. Bake untill golden brown (50-60min).
- Let the cake rest in the tin, and then rest on the rack.
I have been baking this cake many times and noticed that baking times and temperatures are notoriously difficult to follow. Depending on a season and ingredients used, I had to adjust the temperature after initial 20 min. Sometimes I have reduced it to 140C and baking went perfect, sometimes I had to make it 150C or even 160C, because baking process was very slow. Total time of baking could be anything from 80min to 90min. Baking time changes if foil is used to protect the cake from burning on the top.
I use fan enforced electric oven. For regular oven, use temperatures 180C and 150C.
Best eaten when cold.
I bake different variations of sultana cake. Recipes and preparation can be found in separate posts.
Gluten free fruit cake has nearly the same recipe for cake batter.
Both sultana and especially fruit cake with extra special icing and decorations, can make nice gluten free Christmas cake.